- Counter-intuitive advice from famous entrepreneurs
- YA Authors sort their own characters into Hogwarts houses
- Daily routines of famous creatives (infographic)
- Letting go
- How to retire on $25,000/year
- Ashley’s favorite books about creativity
Unrelated to the above: I finally got around to taking an online Briggs-Myers test and found (to noone’s surprise) that I am INTJ. Based on this description, I feel like I am pretty much destined to be an indie author. Alone? check. Strategic? check. Creativity? check. High value placed on skill? check.
- J.K. Rowling’s tip for writers (I totally got this)
- Skip school and travel
- If you were the BEST in the world at what you do, how would you behave?
- Why a global 3-day work week would be good for innovation (I might actually get a ‘day job’ if it were only 3 days)
- Gender-flip geek icons! Race-flip nerd war! Gay Batman! Raaaawr!
- How far your paycheck goes in 356 U.S. cities
- Asking specific questions helps you start finishing
- Don’t complain. Create.
- Science! I love NdGT
- Print out good advice and put it where you work (you won’t be able to run away from it)
- It is called Self-Esteem
- Why you shouldn’t save the ‘good stuff’
- 20 things I’ve learned about being a grown-up
- Snacks of the great writers (I write mostly in the morning, so coffee only)
- How Ira Glass works
- What to do when you have too many ideas
- A babe manifesto (I love Kara and the work she is doing!)
- How to break out of negative thinking
- Why you must be crazy to want to be a writer
- What is the point of anything?
- But seriously, stop being an a$$hole to yourself
- It’s OK to be a beginner
- The making of a Steinway Grand Piano from start to finish
- An artist recreated his childhood doodles as digital illustrations 20 years later
- Art history: Women listening to men for hundreds of years
- Why readers, scientifically, are the best people to fall in love with
- Malcolm Gladwell on criticism
- Cool at 13, adrift at 23
Around here in the last week:
… Focused a TON on the new 30 Days of Lists challenge!
… Began the 1st draft of another novel. I would *love* to be able to average ~2000 words per day and finish the first draft by mid-August. We’ll see.
… Marathoning Friends episodes while I work on Blurb books.
… Harvested our first red bell peppers from our garden. SO delicious!
… Andrew’s boss went out of town for about 5 weeks, so he is mostly off work (from his day job) and booked a bunch of freelance projects!
And now for this week’s links!
In the last week around here …
… my strawberry plant is not doing very well. I moved it so it gets less sun. We’ll see.
… I spent $5 on the recent This American Life live show. I love Lin-Manuel Miranda with all my heart, so have been very excited about this!
… I photographed a last-minute wedding on Saturday. Harassed by a groomsman and spent Sunday *exhausted*. Not sure I ever want to shoot a wedding again.
… Found out we might actually get to go on a mini vacation this summer. Not 100% sure on details yet, but I’m excited!
… Maggie placed a large ad this week, so I’m expecting to be busier in the next few days!
… I’m joining Kristin’s book club! I love reading.
… Andrew is having a rough week. Not limited to a homeless drug addict attacking his employees.
- John Steinbeck and the Art of Fiction
- I’ve been listening to some Talks at Google. I love that they do this.
- 36 surprising ways to boost creativity
- The Harry Potter series from Draco’s perspective
- What is your best life advice?
- Why the Muppets are the Soul of American Music : “If influence is the number of people who know a band and the number of influential people who collaborate with that band, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem Band is one of the most influential living groups in American music. Depending on your definition of living.”