Harry Potter group re-read-along for December

I have been thinking about re-reading Harry Potter for about six months. I think about re-reading Harry Potter all the time. ALL THE TIME. I only want to read it in cold weather, so in the middle of summer I day dream about curling up under a quilt with coffee and Harry.

I love these books. I love love them. I wrote my Master’s Thesis about them and these are really the first books that made me feel like maybe I could write fiction (counter intuitive since I can’t imagine ever writing something as good).

I love these books. I’ve been on a very busy treadmill of library books recently. But my t0-read piles of books I own are getting taller. So I’m starting fresh. As of today I have a couple library books to finish, and then I’m not going to check out any more until at least 2015.

On December 1 I am starting a Harry Potter re-read! My seventh or eighth probably. Maybe more. I’ve lost track.

AND YOU ARE INVITED TO JOIN ME!

harry potter_edited-1

My friends will be joining me and we will be taking over the NovelTea Book Club Facebook Group as a central hub.

You should know —

#1 — IT IS ASSUMED YOU HAVE READ THE BOOKS ALREADY.

No one is going to be precious about spoilers. Seriously, the books came out like almost 20 years ago. No sympathy. Don’t visit the Facebook group if you don’t want anything spoiled for you.

#2 — We don’t really have discussion questions planned. Something may come up organically, but this is more just a mutual love-of-HP-gush-fest.

#3 — Read as fast as you want. Read as slow as you want. There is absolutely no reason you need to finish these books on any set timetable (particularly by the end of the month)

#4 — We’re using #HPDec if you post about it on Instagram/Twitter/Tumblr/etc.

My Harry Potter re-read will likely be a big part of my December album (I’m looking for some good HP journaling card designs if you have any leads).

That’s it! No rules, just a fun group read-along.

I hope you’ll join us!

• Amy November 24, 2014 at 5:00 am edit

Ooooh this sounds so fun! I tried to read the whole series earlier in the year when we went to the Harry Potter Studio Tour but only got to about number five, so I think I need to start again! I was surprised how much I noticed this time around, despite having read them so many times before – there’s so much going on that I don’t think you could ever be bored of them.

• Amy T Schubert November 24, 2014 at 7:19 am edit

EXACTLY — There are so many little details in this book that they definitely hold up to multiple re-reads

• Alice November 24, 2014 at 5:15 am edit

Hi Amy! I stumbled upon your blog after reading a tweet from Kristin (of My Life as a Teacup) who linked to this post. It’s amazing, because I’m a huge potterhead and I’m rereading the books (actually I’m on hiatus because I was waiting for the cool weather, hehe!). Joining other readers would be great, my only concern is that I’m going to read the 7th book (since I reread the others during the last few months), I know that there aren’t specific rules, but do you think I could join the bookclub even if I’m at the end of the saga?

P.s. Your blog is lovely! Gonna read some of your old posts :)

• Amy T Schubert November 24, 2014 at 7:20 am edit

Absolutely no problem w/ just reading book 7 — except that the FB group discussion will obviously be on the earlier books at first :)

I first read the books in January, so I definitely am in the cold weather camp

• Christen November 24, 2014 at 7:14 am edit

I am a Harry Potter virgin — I’ve read the first four books. I have seen all the movies and know all the spoilers (like you said — been around for 20 years hard to not know what happens) . . . I’m the slowest reader alive, but . . . I might pick up and finish the series (in LOVE).

I’m still curious about your Master Thesis :) Love to read sometime (didn’t you say you thought about putting on Amazon . . . hehe)

xo,
    Christen
    ChristenKrumm.com

• Amy T Schubert November 24, 2014 at 7:21 am edit

My thesis DEFINITELY needs a good edit before I publish it anywhere (I wrote it before book 7 came out) …. but it’s on my list.

I can totally pull out some of my research and details for the group discussion in the FB group, though :)

• Heather November 24, 2014 at 8:05 am edit

My husband and I started rewatching the movies (just finished 3) and I told him last night I wanted to reread the series. What perfect timing!!

• Ajaire November 25, 2014 at 4:21 am edit

I’ve been dreaming about rereading them for the past year! This is the perfect excuse. And I totally agree that they need to be read in cooler temps :)

• Zuni November 26, 2014 at 4:59 am edit

Hi, I think this is a great idea. I loved Harry Potter series and had read the books once in the past. I have been having trouble reading lately and I’m pretty much very slow but I think its a great opportunity to get back into reading. I have never participated in a book club so I’m not sure what really happens. If you could let me know what to expect or do I would really appreciate it. Thanks for sharing.

• Amy T Schubert November 26, 2014 at 6:16 am edit

Hi Zuni! Just join the Facebook group, and participate in (or just pay attention to) discussion. This is going to be a very loose version of a book club :)

5 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 3 Google+ 2 5 Flares ×