Even though my “Year of BRAVE” is technically over, I still want to consciously make BRAVE steps. All the time.
Ali has talked about this with her own One Little Words – words from previous years stick with her. I am 100% finding that to be true. It’s hard to shake a whole year of developing a new habit and mindset. Especially when it has all worked out so brilliantly!
Making the brave choice is ALWAYS in the forefront of my mind. Always. Is it braver to say yes to an opportunity to expand my reach or to say no because of opportunity cost? Is it braver to attend a social function (because I’m an introvert) or to stay home and work on my novel (where I want to move my career)? These are the kind of questions I (repeatedly) filter through my BRAVE One Little Word AND now my NURTURE One Little Word.
For example … In the last couple months I:
- filed the paperwork necessary to dissolved my photography business
- filed the paperwork necessary to create my small online media business that will serve as the umbrella for several smaller sites.
- spent money to join a group of writers (more on this later this month)
- committed to writing a short story for an anthology (even though I haven’t written a short story since about… 2004).
- registered a new URL for an author site (more on this and the above as I have news)
- asked people to unsubscribe from an email list
- braved Lowe’s by myself, looking like an idiot, trying to explain what I needed for a plumbing project even though I didn’t really know
…. and probably more little things here and there that I am not remembering because being BRAVE is so much more part of my life than it was a year ago.
Last year I spent a lot of time thinking and weighing options and really trying to figure out what works best for me. This year the decision-making is getting easier, but still scary as hell. I’m coming up on a year of being 95% self-employed and I still love it. Even though we have *far* less money than before. Even though I *still* only see Andrew an hour or 2 every other day.
Are you trying to take a BRAVE step? Trick your brain. Tell yourself it’s only temporary and you can always change things back.
Some of these ALSO fall under my NURTURE One Little Word. I’ll write about that soon!