I’ve recently discovered a site called Advice to Writers and I’m pretty much in love with it….
Whether you’re on the second draft of your novel or just trying to get up a blog post this morning, we are all writers of some kind. Keep this advice and inspiration in mind when you go to journal for your Project Life or blog for next week or work on your first ebook.
Here’s a collection of some of my favorite quotes from writers on writing collected over the last few months.
In no particular order ….
- It’s your duty to lie
- writing is self-hypnosis
- you have to write
- Life is too short for a writer to be polite
- treat writing as a job
- there’s something magical about writing
- write every day
- respect your characters
- work inspires inspiration
- a novel begins with a pang
- writing is like sex
- finding out is the best part of writing
- put everything on the same subject in the same place
- editors make mistakes
- 10 tips to help aspiring writers stretch their fiction
- read read read
- there is no right way or wrong way
- close the door
- Vonnegut’s rules for the short story
- high concept is the enemy of the writer
- the writing impulse seeks its own level
- respect writers block
- Margaret Atwood’s ten rules for writing fiction
- just write
- writing is not an amusing occupation
- be ruthless about protecting writing days
- writing is about hypnotizing yourself