what are you willing to compromise?

Andrew and I are in the middle of …. decisions.

If it’s time to buy a house, if it’s time to quit my job, where we would buy a house, if I should get some kind of transition job …. etc etc etc.

Being a grown-up is hard.

We’ve been weighing different options, and mostly focusing on what we REALLY want and what we are willing to compromise to get it.

I think this is an important line to draw in any part of your life where you have to make decisions, right?

What are you willing to compromise for your relationship, for your job, for your business or for your blog?

If you are saving money for a new camera, are you willing to shoot a wedding (even if you don’t like them)?

If you want to keep your etsy sales up, are you willing to deep discount the products?

If you want to have thousands of blog followers, are you willing to do giveaways every week to bribe the readers to come?

If you want to quit your job, are you willing to eat ramen every day to afford it?

Just some things I’ve been thinking about….

*added: just a little bit re: what we’ve been thinking about*

(cute photo just for fun… I’m really lucky to have such an awesome husband to discuss this all with)

• Jaimie June 6, 2011 at 4:59 am edit

Good questions… gets you thinkin, eh? Love this pic, Suuuper cute!

• Amanda Webster June 6, 2011 at 5:28 am edit

Love this post! My boyfriend and I are in the middle of some major planning and decision making. And I have realized alot about myself in the process – the things that I thought were important, truly aren’t. I can do without a lot and give up a lot if that means making the life ‘together’ for our family that we want! It doesn’t make it easy – but I know it’s totally worth it!

• Jenn June 6, 2011 at 5:30 am edit

Great questions, and definitely something that I’ll be thinking about for a while =)

That photo of you guys is so cute!

• Rachell June 6, 2011 at 5:58 am edit

All tough decisions I agree.

I hope you guys figure out what works best and get what you want! Good luck!

• Ashley June 6, 2011 at 7:28 am edit

Cute picture!

What’s worked for us with almost every decision is our gut feeling. We moved in together quickly because it felt right. We had a destination wedding because it was more us than a traditional wedding. I quit my job because I knew it was no longer the place for me to be.

We took the plunge and then did what was needed to ensure it was worth it. For us, it’s always worked out because we’ve always been ready to give something up for something that we feel is better.

And I hope that you’re able to as well.

• Alexandra June 6, 2011 at 7:56 am edit

I feel like we’re living paraellel lives. Ben (my fiancee) and I have been having so many discussions about whether or not I should look for a job, or just try to see if my design work “works” for us. It’s stressful, but exciting!! GOOD LUCK to you– you will do amazing things!

• Angela June 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm edit

I think I need you to post more of these types of blogs so I am reminded to actually *think* about things before I do them. You’re brilliant and will make a good choice. Thats what you do. :)

• Nicole Longstreath June 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm edit

Good luck with those big decisions, Amy. Buying (or not buying) a house is surely a big one!

I would gladly quit my job in a hot minute and happily eat noodles, but my other half won’t let me (sign). Until then, I’ll just have to keep moonlighting 😉

• Irene June 11, 2011 at 4:42 am edit

What a lovely post! It was funny to read your thoughts and they also made me think.
    I continuously ask myself things like these.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your decisions.
    I wish you to realize your projects and find the balance among things to make them happen :)

Cheers from Italy!

• Kelly June 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm edit

Good luck with all those “grown-up” decisions!

I am right there with you. We have lots of life changing questions going on in our heads right now. I definitely want to quit my job, but we aren’t ready for that right now. Not even noodles will make it possible. Luckily we are trying to plan other things that will make it possible some day, hopefully sooner than later. We also want to buy a house, but don’t see ourselves staying in our hometown forever. My husband wants to go back to school, but we aren’t sure if he should go here or wait until we move. Some things are easy to compromise, while others are a little more scary.

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 0 0 Flares ×