DIY project: Fill-in-the-blank wall art

I have no idea what to call this project:

• fill-in-the-blank wall art
  • Mad Lib dry erase board
  • customizable wall art
  • dry erase wall messages

No idea ….

But, I LOVE it…. I made this one for my sister-in-law for Christmas and I’m pretty sure I want to make one for myself.

Supplies:

• frame
  • foam core board
  • fabric (1/2 yard maybe, depending on how big your frame)
  • fabric paint/brushes
  • dry erase pens
  • straight pins

(Ok, I know this is REALLY pink fabric. But it is actually the *exact* fabric from her bridesmaid dresses. Kaitlin likes pink :) )

First, cut the foam core board to fit the frame.

Cut the fabric to fit the foam core board (and fold over the edges) – don’t forget to iron your fabric

I taped the fabric in place (see the photo above) – but make sure you use the straight pins along the edges to hold the fabric in place.

Tried-and-true technique recommend by Andrew – who spent years as a custom framer.

The little bitty tightness marks on the fabric won’t show – the frame will cover that part.

NEXT – Decide on your message and font. Print out the letters in the size you want.

I used :

• “I love you because _____ “
  • font Rockwell
  • font size 350

Align your words as straightly as you can

I used the extra bit of foam core board as a straight-edge to align the words perpendicular to the edges.

And then used the straight-edge to make the straight fill-in-the-blank line

Next step …. and there might be an easier way to do this ….. I just traced the cut out lettters in pencil.

And then started painting them in.

Very very (very) carefully with fabric paint.

Hint: Start with letters in the middle. It will be easier to keep the letters straight if you start with the middle. ALSO your painting technique will improve with every letter. If your worst painted letters are in the middle they will be far less noticeable than if you start with the first letter in the sentence.

This took me HOURS.

HOURS.

Which is why I suspect there is an easier way to do it.

If I was going to make several, I might make a screen and screen print them all ….

Next, just frame it.

You can write on glass with dry erase markers and erase it pretty easily!

Here are a couple fun examples:

I SO love this!

I already have several ideas for more fill-in-the-blank wall art!!

What would you write in the blank?

SIGN UP for the L&R monthly newsletter

ASK a question

• Alexandra January 1, 2011 at 10:21 am edit

This is AWESOME. I love, love, love this idea!

Have you thought about (for an easier way) printing off the letters on something iron on, and then ironing them on?? That would be SUPER simple, and still give you the typographic look you want!!

• Meadowlark January 1, 2011 at 10:22 am edit

I’d definitely write (because) “you share of yourself”.

And this is a totally a freezer-paper stencil project if ever there was one. Especially if you cut the freezer paper with a Silhouette.

Happy New Year!

• Jason January 1, 2011 at 11:52 am edit

This is very cool! Thanks to Ryan Barton for sending me your way. I will definitely follow your blog!

• Nicole Ioma January 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm edit

I love this! I even love the brightbright pink =) such a sweet gift!

• Abriel Dixon January 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm edit

I LOVE this project, Amy! We just moved into our first house, so I’m making a variation of your project with chalkboard paint directly on the wall!! So fun! Thanks for the great idea!

• Kirby January 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm edit

I like it, great project… :)

• Mim January 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm edit

This is adorable! What a fun gift!!!

• Julie January 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm edit

I LOVE this and it was the perfect gift for Kaitlin.

• Tricia @ {every}nothing wonderful January 1, 2011 at 8:35 pm edit

ACK! Huge idea!

I did a valentine’s day box for my husband once with reasons I loved him. I think I’m going to surprise him on Valentine’s say with this – I’m going to do 2 and put them on either side of our beds. So awesome! AND…chalkboard pens work well on glass/refrigerators too! 😉

• AJ January 2, 2011 at 9:22 am edit

This is absolutely adorable! Such a GREAT idea!

• Nancy (Mom) January 2, 2011 at 10:07 am edit

Great gift for a wedding, anniversary, valentines’ day to keep the magic alive. I agree on the iron on letters, or maybe paint pens would be a little easier than a brush…or even an iron-on T-shirt transfer could incorporate some other designs as well as the words.

Love it! You can make one for me for my birthday in beachy colors. :-)

• leyla January 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm edit

I really like this…I would probably buy stencils from the craft store before I spent hours cutting them like you did. Haha :)

• mel January 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm edit

i am making this for my boyfriend for his birthday (on jan 12th) i bought a smaller frame though, and will be using paper behind the frame. (i’ve gotta use some of my scrapbooking supplies up!)

• Willy Christopher June 26, 2011 at 11:56 am edit

I was google searching for a giant wall-sized marker board for the office and came across this project of yours on the first page of Google Images.

You just raised the bar for something we can not only do in our office, but something we can make for clients as gifts! We love to personalize our gifts as much as possible and this idea is fantastic.

I can already imagine the looks we get when a husband and wife each get one of these that reads “I love Sarah because ______” and “I love Mark because ________”

Very professional looking.

• L'Erin November 14, 2011 at 3:04 pm edit

This is frikken genius! I love it!! Thank you so much for sharing. It also looks pretty simple to create which is really exciting for a not-really-crafty-but-super-love-making-stuff person like myself.

• christian wall art and decor July 21, 2014 at 9:04 pm edit

No matter which of the offset or multiple piece canvas options you
    choose for your wall, there can be little doubt that they
    simply ooze style and appeal to a huge number of people, which is why they will
    always be a viable trend in the art world. Now you can buy your complete art stuff online through galleries and museums.
    A medium size room can make use of a smaller painting to
    give it a more spacious look.

124 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 124 Google+ 0 124 Flares ×